tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Anil K. Vijendran" <Anil.Vijend...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: I feel sideswiped here.
Date Fri, 17 Dec 1999 21:48:46 GMT
On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Jason Hunter wrote:

> rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:
> >
> > There was no vote, but Anil did post a note entitled "To all
> > comitters" on the fourteenth stating his intent.
>
> The mail only said: "Since we are preparing for a Tomcat 3.0 release,
> please be very careful what you check in."

Well, if I were you I'd have jumped in right then and asked more questions
about when and what. The mail was pretty darn clear about the fact that a
release was going to happen. It was important we have a release build now
because several things were waiting on this.

> > Personally, it doesn't affect me much
> > one way or another as I will continue to build from CVS.
>
> Anyone interested in setting up a production site (as I am) needs a
> guaranteed stable release to use.  A release without tester
> agreement or "soak time" is shocking.  Were this release to have
> happened to a normal corporate project, the QA manager would be livid!
>
> I propose all future releases must pass a vote, and must soak for a
> minimum of two business days during which we ask members of the lists
> (including ourselves) to attempt to find and submit any showstopper
> bugs.  If any showstoppers are found, they will be fixed and the two-day
> soak begins again.

In general, I have no problems with this. Specifically, it would be a
zillion times better if you actually pointed things out earlier than
later. Silence is bad when you see a mail with content you care a
lot about. Its worse when you don't do anything about it and then later
say something in the process is broken. THAT is what causes chaos.

Also, keep in mind that this is the first time we're doing a release and
for quite a few of us this is the first open source experience. Many
of us know you well enough to care about your opinions but TIMELY is the
keyword.