tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From jon * <...@clearink.com>
Subject FW: Your Report: zipentry has no way to mark the file as TEXT or BINARY
Date Wed, 01 Dec 1999 06:52:00 GMT
maybe in 3 weeks i might get an answer. ;-(

-jon

----------
From: nobody@java.sun.com
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 22:50:28 -0800 (PST)
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Your Report: zipentry has no way to mark the file as TEXT or BINARY

Your report has been assigned an internal review ID of: 98468

This review ID is NOT visible on the "Java Developer Connection" (JDC).

We greatly appreciate your interest in improving the quality
of Java(tm) Technology from Sun Microsystems.

Please be aware that the large volume of reports we receive
sometimes prevents us from responding individually to each
message.

We currently have a three week response time for responding to
Bug Reports.  If the information is determined to be a new bug,
or a duplicate of a known bug, you will receive a followup email
containing a seven digit bug number.  You may search for this bug
number on the "Java Developer Connection" (JDC) at this URL:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/index.html.

If you just reported an issue that could have a major
impact on your project and you require a response,
please consider purchasing one of the support offerings
at this URL:
    http://java.sun.com/support/index.html

user_type: E

security: 1

Classic VM (build JDK-1.2-V, native threads)

Ok,

So, it seems as though it turns out that Zip files created with
java.util.zip.*
don't have a way to mark the ZipEntry's as being a certain type, ie: the
file
is TEXT or BINARY. So, what does this screw up? Well, if you take the .zip
file
that is created on a PC and copy it over to a unix box and then use unzip on
it
(even with the -a option), then the text files are not properly unzipped
because they will have stupid ^M's in the text files. Note that if I zip the
same exact directory with WinZip and move it over to a unix box then unzip
-a
works perfectly!

ZipEntry has a setExtra() method in it with absolutely no documentation on
it.
getExtra() always seems to return null, even on files that have been created
with WinZip, so it is difficult to see where I'm supposed to actually define
that a file is of type TEXT or BINARY.

Arg. Anyone (especially at Sun), can you get me more information on this? I
have been trying to search the JDC bug database, but haven't found anything
relevant to this issue.

thanks,

-jon

workaround: none. ;-(

cust_name: Jon S. Stevens

type: bug

cust_email: jon@clearink.com

category: java

subcategory: classes_util

crash: 1

synopsis: zipentry has no way to mark the file as TEXT or BINARY

dateCreated: November 30, 1999 10:50:26 PM

jdcid:

severity: 1

OSversion: win_nt_4.0

data_loss: 2

hardware: x86

performance: 1

user_role: D

company: Clear Ink

minusVersion: java version "1.2"
Classic VM (build JDK-1.2-V, native threads)

hang: 1

comments: (company - Clear Ink , email - jon@clearink.com)
This bug results in data loss.

status: Waiting