tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Assaf Arkin <ar...@exoffice.com>
Subject Re: [LONG TERM PLAN] Proposed Architecture for Tomcat.NextServletContainer
Date Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:59:39 GMT
> can you share more info on this? i'm doing pretty much the same thing
> but haven't had time to make the xml to/from java as clean as i'd like.
> i know it can be done and have some thoughts in mind but i'd love to
> hear some thoughts from those that have been there/done that.
>
> i'll take whatever you can offer; class sigs, ascii diags, methodologies,
> api's, patterns, etc. if others aren't interested in this please feel free to

I can do better than that. I can give you a working implementation,
fully open source.

Go to http://castor.exolab.org, download the latest release (0.6). You
will also need ftp://ftp.exolab.org/pub/jars/xerces.jar since it depends
on the serializer API found there. Xerces and ProjectX can coexist in
the same classpath, and I'm happily running Tomcat with both.

The two most interesting classes there are
org.exolab.castor.xml.Marshaller (Java -> XML) and
org.exolab.castor.xml.Unmarshaller (XML -> Java). You don't need much
documentation to get them up running :-)

The trivial Java - XML mapping is done automatically for you by the
framework, e.g. an element called server will map to a class called
Server, an attribute called sql-name will map to getSqlName/setSqlName
methods.

The non trivial mapping (e.g. different naming, mapping based on class
name attribute, element/attribute switches, etc) relies on MarshalInfo
descriptors (modeled after the JavaBean descriptors). There's an XML
Schema -> Java source code generator that can do most of the work for
you.

Unfortunately, documentation is a bit lacking at this point, so I
suggest you fire an email directly to Keith (kvisco@exoffice.com) for
any question you have.

If you're looking for sample code for the non-trivial examples I've
described, download the Tyrex sources from tyrex.exolab.org and look in
the directory src/main/tyrex/conf. There's enough samples in there to
cover all the bases :-)

If anyone is willing to help with documentations and sample code, that
would be greatly appreciated.

arkin