tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <cmcclana...@mytownnet.com>
Subject Re: Team building (was: version confusion)
Date Wed, 15 Dec 1999 03:39:20 GMT
Jon Zeppieri wrote:

> > "Don't ask for permission. Just do it! It's easier to apologize for having
> > done something than it is to get permission to do it." - G. Hopper
>
> That would be Admiral Grace Hopper, inventrix of COBOL.

Years and years ago (back in the days of core memories, with millisecond access
times, when you got 8kb on a 15-inch square circuit board :-), I went to a
seminar where Admiral Hopper was a featured speaker.  Along with her she had
brought a short piece of wire, and asked if anyone knew what the significance
was, but no one did.  "Oh," she said, "the length of this wire is how far light
travels in a nanosecond."

An incredible mind, to be thinking that far ahead of where technologists were
dreaming at the time.

Craig McClanahan