tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Turner <...@arrakis.com.au>
Subject Re: New accidental Java 2 dependancy in ant?
Date Mon, 13 Dec 1999 13:36:08 GMT
Hutchison, Jeff wrote:

> I just did a anon CVS update of jakarta-tools and ant has stopped working
> for me on Java 1.1.8 for ant, tomcat, and my own project.  I cannot
> rebuild ant with Java 1.1.8 but I can with Java 1.3beta on my windows box.
> Here's what I see:
>
> [jhut@trout ant]$ ./mybuild.sh # turns off jit
> Building with classpath
> ./../ant.jar:./../projectx-tr2.jar:./../javac.jar:/home/jhut/sis/sistools/xerces.jar:/usr/local/jdk118/lib/classes.zip:/usr/local/lib/java/swingall.jar:/usr/local/lib/java:/usr/local/lib/java/jt400.jar:/usr/local/lib/java/collections.jar:.
> Buildfile: build.xml
> Detected Java Version: 1.1
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>        at org.apache.tools.ant.Parser.getParser(Parser.java:80)
>        at org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper.configureProject(ProjectHelper.java:85)
>        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:201)
>        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.main(Main.java:173)

It's not just mee seeing this then?

I did my first anon CVS checkout yesterday. I use Blackdown JDK-1.1.7 on
x86 Linux-2.0.36.

Some poking around revealed that the Parser.java source in jakarta-tools
does _NOT_ match what's in ant.jar!

(In particular, that stack trace does not make sense.)

Manually unpacking the jar, compiling the supplied Parser.java, then
repacking the jar with the replaced class file was enough to get build
working again.

Note that, of course, this same problem prevented a simple rebuild of
ant itself.

QA question for the committers: is it not possible to have commits
automatically tested before acceptance?

- Raz