tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <cmcclana...@mytownnet.com>
Subject Re: Ant
Date Sat, 11 Dec 1999 03:10:32 GMT
costin@eng.sun.com wrote:

> IMHO if a project needs a special Task and it feels like generic
> enough - we should just add it.
> ( like compiling a package only if a class is in classpath - I think
> it's something usefull ).

Another way to deal with this creative tension -- allow a project to declare
a particular directory or Jar file as containing project-specific tasks.  At
startup time, every Java class found here that implements Task would be
auto-magically added to the available tasks within this project.  (I suppose
you' d have to allow Ant to compile them if necessary.)

Since so much of Ant is already based on the Java reflection API, I can't
believe this would be very hard to do.  And it would let you keep the
standard Ant task-set very generic.

Craig McClanahan