tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Error 500 during JSP compilation
Date Wed, 08 Dec 1999 19:04:13 GMT
Stephane Boisson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here is the description of a strange problem occuring during the
> compilation of JSP to servlets:
>
> We have a html file containing a frameset which reference 2 differents
> JSP.
>
> 1 - With a freshly started tomcat, the JSP are not yet compiled, I
> request the frameset from browser so the 2 'child' requests will trigger
> JSP compilation
>     - On a singleprocessor machine running WinNT 4, JDK 1.2.2 the two
> JSP are compiled without troubles
>     - On a singleprocessor machine running Linux, JDK 1.2-pre2 the two
> JSP are compiled without troubles
>     - On a multiprocessor machine running WinNT 4, JDK 1.2.2 the two JSP
> don't compile and we have a frameset with error 500 in each frame (it
> says cannot it cannot compile <generated-source>.java because of an
> error in it)
>
> 2 - From the frameset displaying 2 error pages, I perform reload on one
> of the 2 frame (using browser contextual menu)
>   => the JSP in the frame compile and works as expected
>
> 3 - I re-request the frameset on the browser
>   => the framset display correctly the 2 JSP on all machines
>
> So I guess this looks a lot like a bug from either NT or JDK, but I
> wanted be sure and ask if someone else checked this kind of JSP on a
> multiprocessor machine..

There seem to be a multi-thread issue with the JSP servlets code generating
code. I have seen similar problems when using frames, and looking at the
generated servlet code I noticed that it's a mixture of code from the two
JSP pages requested at roughly the same time. Reloading one page at the time
generates correct servlet code. In my case I have used a simple single
processor server, and I believe I've seen the problem with both JDK 1.2
and JDK 1.1.8.

I have started to try to track down this problem, but I have too much other
stuff to do right now so I haven't been able to spend enough time to find it
yet. If someone else can track it down, I would really appreciate it.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com