tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant
Date Tue, 07 Dec 1999 18:40:31 GMT
Costin.Manolache@eng.sun.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have few changes to ant - I want to get rid of OS-specific  defines in
>
> build.xml and clean the "property" hack.
>
> There are few changes, and I want your feedback:
>
> - add DefaultProperties.java task - it will read ant.properties,
> ant-OS.properties,
> ant-OS-ARCH.properties and ~/.ant.properties.
> All OS specific directories should be here:
> -  build.compiler
> -  package.dir = where to put "packages" ( i.e. ftp pub or http
> accessible  directory )
> -  build.dir = temp directory for build ( can be ../build )
> -  dist.dir = where to install dist - c:\Program Files or /opt or ~/opt
> Also, it will define TSTAMP and DSTAMP ( YYYYMMDD - like in the nightly
> builds )

What about something like

 <properties file="ant-${java.os}.properties"/>

instead?

> - add Property.java task - it will do exactly the same as the <property>
> hack

You mean making <property> a task? Hmmm, it is not a task. What do you
accomplish?

> - Change Project.java: if a "init" target is defined, that will be
> executed allways
> before anything else.
> All <property/> and <defaultProperties/> defines will be here.
> A good ideea would be to have TaskDef in the init section too ( with a
> TaskDef task ).

Let's keep things simple. Look at this pseudo-DTD

<!ENTITY % init 'properties|property'>
<!ELEMENT project ((%init;)*, target+)>

everything that is before the targets gets executed before the target.

> Also, please take a look at src/bin/ant - I use it allways instead of
> build.sh
> script. It will set CLASSPATH and invoke ant - it know how to follow
> symlinks
> and find the correct ANT_HOME. If someone can write a BAT equivalent we
> can get rid of all build.sh/bat and use ant with a simple command (
> like  make).

I'll look into that.

> The idea is to simplify the nightly builds ( no more shell scripts,
> everything can be done
> in portable ant ), and to use ant like a normal tool ( i.e. install and
> use instead of checking
> out jakarta-tools and have a hard-coded directory hierarchy).
> ( something like rpm or deb )

I like this, but let's keep things simple.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.