tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Turner <...@arrakis.com.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tools/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Javac.java
Date Wed, 01 Dec 1999 12:35:18 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Roland Turner wrote:
<snip>
> >         void setDir(String[] values);
> >         void setDir(int index, String value);
> >         String getDir(int index);
> >         String[] getDir();
> >
> > This way, we have all of the bases covered. The XML is clean (no
> > additional text formatting conventions), the API is clean (no use of
> > "set" to mean "add"), and bean introspection will work in the desirable
> > fashion (the multi-valued property will indeed appear as an "indexed"
> > property).
> >
> > Is this useful, or have I missed the point completely?
>
> It is, but I like addxxx() more than using arrays since they don't
> provide problems in introspections, the design is clean and the
> implementation effort doesn't change.

OK, no problem. It's not at all critical that this be exposed as a
JavaBeans property.

I am interested in your "problems in introspections" comment,
particularly in light of the above pattern being a part of the JavaBeans
spec. What problems are you referring to? Just the increase in
complexity in specifying an array type, or something else?

- Raz