tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rajiv Mordani <m...@chinet.com>
Subject Re: FREE PARSER FOR ANT :)
Date Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:27:39 GMT
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
> Rajiv Mordani wrote:
> >
> > Hi Pier,
> >         Project X is also FREE ;).. That apart I have the JAXP classes
> > ready for xerces and have already moved the code on ANT to use the API.. So
> > now you don't have to worry about which parser to use ;).. Am
> > only waiting for the JAXP classes to be released from Sun so that  I can go
> > ahead and check them in (ofcourse after making the proposal on the mailing
> > list).
>
> So, get a move to get that four classes out or I'll get mad :) I am
> ready to use them in StyleBook, but I CANNOT TEST THEM UNTIL THE R.I. IS
> OUT! grrrrrrrrrrr :)

Hang in there... Should be out REAL soon.. btw it is more than just 4
classes . It comes with a parser...

> > On a separate note which I am sure you are already aware of is that
> > Project X is also going to be donated to xml.apache .org. It's just a
> > matter of time now... So it is going to be TRUELY free. ;).. Also if you
> > have faced any problems with the parser please do let us know about it..
>
> Ok, ok... but i am talking about RIGHT NOW, or better, yesterday night,
> when I wanted to try out Ant to build StyleBook, and I didn't want to
> install another XML parser in my classpath... Why should I have 4
> parsers that do the same exact thing installed? I currently have
> OpenXML, Xerces and XML4J... I don't want to add also ProjectX (I'm
> lazy!), so, I kicked those classes out. :)

Also when you already have 3 why not the 4th ;)... Just kidding.. I know
what you mean.... But I am putting the effort into xerces too. I could
very easily give the same argument like you above but IMHO it's not that bad
having to learn to use more than one parser and especially contribute to them
( yes you could contribute  to Project X by submitting any bug report /
feedback about the parser/src to xml-feedback@java.sun.com as of now..). Your
passion should be for xml technologies and not for a particular implementation
of it.. This ofcourse is my opinion about it... "Kicking" those classes out
isn't the solution IMHO... Anyways all these differences will hopefully be
solved once we have the JAXP RI out there.. People will have the choice of
the parser they want to use without having to change the code..

As for making Project X  available it's with the legal folks right now.. I am
waiting for the new license to come through..

- Rajiv

--
  UNIX _is_ user friendly,
  he's just very picky about who his friends are.