tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@m64.com>
Subject tomcat crashes VM under NT
Date Mon, 27 Dec 1999 11:29:24 GMT
Hi,

I am running tomcat under NT4. If I set isWorkDirPersistent="true" in my
server.xml's context section, I can crash the VM under JDK 1.2.2 and JDK
1.3Beta. This is repeatable and occurs on the first access to a .jsp on my
site (once the jsp's have been compiled and stored in the workdir).

Under JDK 1.2.2, the tomcat VM causes a Dr Watson which reports
java.exe
Exception: access violation (0xc000005), Address: 0x504aceed

Under JDK 1.3Beta, the tomcat VM process ends and prints out the following

Starting tcp endpoint on 80 with
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler
#
# HotSpot Virtual Machine Error, EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
#
# Error ID: 4F533F57494E13120E43505002B0
#

abnormal program termination

To see the above message you cannot use the standard bat files since they
launch a separate window which is blown away as the VM crashes taking the
message with it. I removed the start command to prevent a new command line
window being created.

Under JDK 1.1.8, the VM stays up but I get the following message on my
browser

Error: 500

Internal Servlet Error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.Hashtable.get(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.findLoadedClass(ClassLoader.java:293)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspLoader.loadClass(JspLoader.java:128)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspLoader.loadJSP(JspLoader.java:239)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspSe
rvlet.java:137)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:148)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:247)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServiceInvocationHandler.method(ServletWrapper.java:6
26)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleInvocation(Compiled
Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:378)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.Context.handleRequest(Context.java:644)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:440)
        at
onnectionHandler.java:144)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(TcpEndpoint.java:304)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:466)

The process for all of these tests was as follows

1. Clean workdir
2. start tomcat
3. access site (always OK)
4. stop tomcat
5. start tomcat
6. access site (always fails as above)

If I set isWorkDirPersistent="false", there are no problems.

I haven't tracked down the exact cause yet, but I thought I'd raise it as an
issue and see if anyone else can reproduce it.

Cheers
Conor

--
Conor MacNeill