tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Danno Ferrin" <DFER...@novell.com>
Subject Re: JSP Bugs
Date Sun, 21 Nov 1999 01:57:09 GMT
>My environment is both an NT Server 4.0/Sun JDK 1.2.2 and a Linux RedHat
>6.0/IBM JDK 1.1.8.

Which build of Jakarta are you using?  Is it a source tarball or from the CVS?  I use
the latest from the current CVS and it appears fine to me.

>1) A JSP page won't compile if you don't add a return after the last line of
>text. The page returns a java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException and fails.
>This is similar to a bug that was in an earlier version of JRun.

I have no problem writing JSP pages with the current code from the CVS, and
no bugs with the JSP 1.0 subset from the source tarballs.  Could you send an
example?  A bug that isn't demonstratable tends to go to the circular file.  It
probably has something to do with how you are using it

>2) This may be a "feature": The include directives are not "recursive" right
>now. For example, in most of my pages, I include a file called nav_top.jsp
>(using the <%@ include file="relativeURL" %> format) and in nav_top.jsp
>file, I include a variety of other .jsp pages or plain .html pages. The
>problem is that the include paths are relative and it fails because the
>parser doesn't adjust the paths based on the new file location if an
>included page contains additional includes. In JRun, it works fine, but in
>Tomcat I have to modify the paths so that they are derived from the root:
>"/include/code_main.jsp" for example.

It looks to me it falls in the realm of "feature".  The Jsp 1.1 spec (at
http://java.sun.com/products/jsp ) states in section 2.7.6 that the stuff
found at the relative URL is actually inserted into the page, which would
imply that it loses it's identity as some other file (it doesn't even need to
be JSP).  Hence it is like a #include in C.  It also points to 2.5.2 which states
that the base context for a relative URL is the current JSP page.  Processing
the include directive does not change what the current JSP page is.  And
as an aside I  personally have experienced JRun mis-implementing things
from the servlet spec before and this could be a similar case.  ( it is intuitive
to presume that but the spec really doesn't provide the foundation to conclude
that).