tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From jon * <...@clearink.com>
Subject Re: More Ant considerations
Date Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:36:38 GMT
on 11/30/99 7:38 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:

> The problem is, as usual, javadoc.
>
> Suppose we don't care about javadoc 1.1 and we consider javadoc 1.2 as
> the starting point.

Thanks. ;-) BTW, javadoc 1 sucks even more than javadoc 2...so I really
don't see a need to support it. ;-)

> Now, brain-dead javadoc does not accept wildcards as package names. Tell
> me: how stupid is that? So, instead of doing some simple, clean,
> portable stuff like
>
> javadoc org.cocoon.*
>
> I have to do specify every single package and keep this in synch with
> development. This makes me wonder if the guys who wrote javadoc where
> the same that had to create the javadocs for the whole java platform: I
> really hope they were not.

While javadoc does a really good job at what it does, it does a HORRIBLE job
at taking instructions. ;-)

> Anyway, I propose to use Ant to patch this stupid behavior so that
> something like this
>
> <javadoc src="$(src)" packages="org.$(name).*"/>
>
> can work.

This is difficult but possible. Feel free to add this feature to my code.
;-)

> Also, instead of hardcoding attributed inside the task, I propose to
> separate the javadoc attributed from the doclet attributes like this
>
> <javadoc [general attributes]>
> <doclet name="..." [doclet-attributes]/>
> </javadoc>
>
> so that in Cocoon we could be able to use the XMLDoclet to generate the
> XML javadoc and process it later on with our XSL stylesheets to keep the
> graphical look & feel the same with the rest of the docs/web site. (not
> ready yet, but people is working on it)
>
> What do you think?

Again, this is a major change in the functionality and design of Ant.

-jon