tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject More Ant considerations
Date Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:38:39 GMT
Hi,

I'm creating Ant's build.xml for Cocoon and I tried to make it portable.
Portable in the sense that you should change just a few lines or
properties and make it work for other well-behaving projects. A sort of
build pattern that other projects can use to "look the same" to
developers and give a coherent aspect to the hosted projects.

The problem is, as usual, javadoc.

Suppose we don't care about javadoc 1.1 and we consider javadoc 1.2 as
the starting point.

Now, brain-dead javadoc does not accept wildcards as package names. Tell
me: how stupid is that? So, instead of doing some simple, clean,
portable stuff like

javadoc org.cocoon.*

I have to do specify every single package and keep this in synch with
development. This makes me wonder if the guys who wrote javadoc where
the same that had to create the javadocs for the whole java platform: I
really hope they were not.

Anyway, I propose to use Ant to patch this stupid behavior so that
something like this

 <javadoc src="$(src)" packages="org.$(name).*"/>

can work.

Also, instead of hardcoding attributed inside the task, I propose to
separate the javadoc attributed from the doclet attributes like this

 <javadoc [general attributes]>
  <doclet name="..." [doclet-attributes]/>
 </javadoc>

so that in Cocoon we could be able to use the XMLDoclet to generate the
XML javadoc and process it later on with our XSL stylesheets to keep the
graphical look & feel the same with the rest of the docs/web site. (not
ready yet, but people is working on it)

What do you think?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.