tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <cmcclana...@mytownnet.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/shell tomcat.bat tomcat.sh
Date Sat, 27 Nov 1999 00:11:02 GMT
harishp@hyperreal.org wrote:

> harishp     99/11/25 12:42:22
>
>   Modified:    .        build.sh
>   Added:       src/shell tomcat.bat tomcat.sh
>   Log:
>   Added 2 new scripts. One for unix and another for windoz.
>
>   Why?. startup and shutdown pretty much do the same thing..... Everytime
>   there is a change in the classpath/environment etc. we would need to
>   change both the scripts... Which is a drag..  "if-then-else"
>   statements are for exactly this purpose.....
>
>   These script are intended to replace startup and shutdown scripts.
>   You can now use:
>
>   ./tomcat.sh -start
>   ./tomcat.sh -stop

I like the idea of a combined startup/shutdown script, but I would also suggest that we
consider using "start" and "stop" as the arguments, rather than "-start" and "-stop".  The
reasoning is that this is the standard convention on many Unix platforms for system scripts
that go in /etc/init.d or /etc/rc.d/init.d.  If a Tomcat-based application is installed on
such a system, this makes integration of the startup/shutdown script easier.

Craig McClanahan