tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From David Brownell <davi...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat on IBM OS/390?
Date Sat, 20 Nov 1999 19:03:33 GMT
"Preston L. Bannister" wrote:

> From: David Brownell [mailto:david-b@pacbell.net]
>
> > The diagnostics suggest breakage still ...
>
> $ od -c -t d1 < server.xml | head
> 0000000000     <   ?   x   m   l       v   e   r   s   i   o   n   =   "   1
>               76 111 167 148 147  64 165 133 153 162 137 150 149 126 127 241

I knew I should have mentioned some flags there ... "od -x -c"
isn't really an "octal" dump, despite the "od" command!  :-)

So it's clear that the declarations is right, but I'm puzzled why
the diagnostic was complaining about strange "UTF-8" characters.

I'll have to see if I can redo those "make diagnostics give real
information for XML errors" patches ... the parser is known to
give good diagnostic info, but it's getting mangled on printout.

> > > It's running!!
> >
> > ... but I wonder if it's using some compiled-in default instead of
> > anything you gave it.
>
> Without modifying the encoding= attribute, Tomcat would not start at all.
> So it is using the encoding ... at least partly.

Nonetheless, somehow the diagnostics coming out of Tomcat seem to
suggest that some file is getting read as UTF-8 -- as if it was
transcoded to EBCDIC but you missed an encoding decl.  But the
messages out of Tomcat are being no help in finding that file.

- Dave