tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From David Brownell <davi...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat on IBM OS/390?
Date Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:19:30 GMT
"Preston L. Bannister" wrote:

> >From the thundering silence I assume the answer is "no" :).
>
> I tried running the 1999/11/17 current version (from CVS) of
> Tomcat on OS/390.  It failed on trying to parse server.xml,
> because I'd translated server.xml to EBCDIC.

[ You omitted the diagnostic, but I know what _should_ happen... ]

First try it without transcoding anything at all.  It should
work just fine.  If it doesn't, that's a bug.

Then if that works, try the transcoding but make sure you give
the appropriate XML declaration, like

	<?xml version='1.0' encoding='EBCDIC-CP-US'?>

If you don't provide such a declaration, things are pretty
much guaranteed to break -- as in, if they don't, it's a bug.

>	  It seems like readable text on ASCII machines should
> be readable text on EBCDIC machines.  This
> means that ASCII text files should become EBCDIC on EBCDIC machines.
>
> Should *.xml be UTF8 on EBCDIC machines?  Seems a bit awkward
> for the administrator, but that's how I read the intent from my XML
> book.

EBCDIC should work just fine -- if, and only if, you declare
it correctly.  That XML book would be wrong; use whatever
encoding you really want, but if it's not UTF-8 or UTF-16
(or honest 7-bit ASCII) you _must_ declare its encoding.

- Dave