tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Anil K. Vijendran" <>
Subject Re: PATCH:jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler/
Date Wed, 17 Nov 1999 03:38:41 GMT
Danno Ferrin wrote:

> Yes, putting in that address for the doctype fixes that problem (I still get the verifier
excpetion table range error problem, but that's another thread).

> But that brings up a perifery exception.  Is it ther intent of the implementation to
demand a tld has a dtd refrence to guarantee validity?

yep, we use a validating parser.

> What about XML that is well formed but not valid according to the dtd.  Because of the
possiblity of future additions by the standard to the dtd I would think it would be good to
accept well formed XML, parsing only the fields in the current taglib spec, and perhaps loudly
ignoring extraneous tags.  but what really threw me is that the tld example from the sun spec
page freaks out because it only gives the file not the fully-qualified url for the dtd.  And
what if the implementation is on a network separate from the internet, should the page author
store the DTD locally and change all of the tlds in all of the vendor supplied taglib jars?
 What if the network is flapping and sun's site is temorarily un-routed?

future additions to the spec would be acommpanied by a new DTD and the intent is that you
need to update
your web.xml or taglib.tld file accordingly with the new DTD when you start using the new
features. the dtd
specified in the doctype declaration is not really used because internally we register a "local"
dtd resource. Tomcat should never go to the net to find out that dtd.

> Danno,
> I understand that textnodes are being returned where elements are expected and there
is a class cast exception. But I still can't see where I could add space in the TLD to reproduce
this. (You didn't attach a
> TLD in your mail.) Maybe be I'm being dense here but please send me a TLD or modify the
TLD in