tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <cmcclana...@mytownnet.com>
Subject Re: Connector -- Context Manager relation
Date Tue, 09 Nov 1999 15:55:01 GMT
Michal Mosiewicz wrote:

> costin@eng.sun.com wrote:
> > [...]
> > About "Host" - what's the meaning of "host" in terms of servlet api, and why
> > is it needed? Right now we have the server singleton ( == a tomcat engine instance,
> > ContextManger ), and we have Contexts. It is up to ContextManager ( with help
> > from Adapter and maybe Interceptors ) to find the right context and invoke service.
> > I don't see a need to add a "virtual host" concept into this picture
>
> As you remember I never liked vhost concept implementations. But still -
> if we have the same engine shared for several web servers (we may call
> them vhosts), the engine should be able to configure contexts
> differently depending on the vhost. I'm not suggesting any specific
> implementation, I'm not saying that a class is needed, but I'm just
> missing something from this picture.

Another example where a virtual host component comes in handy is when you want to
provide per-virtual-host level access logs (presuming you are running stand alone and
not attached to Apache).  This would be really easy to implement as a virtual host level
Interceptor, where the postInvoke() method can look at the response that was created to
prepare its log entry.

> -- Mike

Craig