tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@eng.sun.com
Subject Re: Connector -- Context Manager relation
Date Tue, 09 Nov 1999 02:37:26 GMT
> It wouldn't be needed for the servlet API, but would be useful if you wanted to give an
> ISP, for example, a place to inject Interceptors that processed all requests to a
> particular customer's virtual host -- and the ability to use separate interceptors for
> each separate customer.

Yes, but you may want more - i.e. to customize interceptors ( == security, etc) by
Context. For an intranet site, you have different applications with different needs -
and this is not only vhost based.

vhost=one way to group Contexts, but you can have more ( of course,
setting restrictions per vhost is easier than arbitrary Context groups )

> > ( this also avoids the discussion about "can a Context be shared across multiple
> > virtual hosts" :-)
> >

> We can skip the discussion as long as you enforce the spec prohibition against crossing
> boundaries :-).

Sure, one Interceptor can do that - and we can write code to prevent anyone ( Mike?) from
turning it off :-)

Costin