tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <cmcclana...@mytownnet.com>
Subject Re: Connector -- Context Manager relation
Date Tue, 09 Nov 1999 01:16:10 GMT
costin@Eng.Sun.COM wrote:

> Michal Mosiewicz wrote:
>
> > costin@eng.sun.com wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > "server" means too many things, I prefer ContextManager ( implements
> > > Server ) :-)
> > >
> > > There is no relation between Connector/Adapter and vhost - ContextManager
> > > will
> > > extract the local address and host header
> >
> > Anyhow it is a little bit tricky, that host:port is a property of
> > ContextManager - it suggests it is used only for a single vhost.
>
> I know, historical reasons, it will change. ( it's sort of "default" host/port
> )
>
> Costin

In JSERV1_1DEV, we called the virtual host component "Host", which made a lot of
sense, so I'd recommend it here as well.  The following relationships would be
possible:

* A Connector can connect to multiple Hosts (for
  example, an AJP connection to a single Apache
  instance that has multiple virtual hosts defined).

* Many Connectors can connect to one Host to allow
  for multiple communications paths (although I'm not
  sure how often this is really needed).

* A Host can connect to many Contexts (one per web
  application installed for that virtual host).

One question would be if there should be something in between the Connector and
Host layers that filters all incoming requests.  An advantage of this approach is
that you could install Interceptor type logic at any or all of the levels (entire
servlet engine, host, context, or wrapper) depending on your needs.

Craig