tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jan-Henrik Haukeland <h...@tildeslash.com>
Subject Re: XML configuration revisited
Date Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:58:03 GMT
Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk> writes:

> James Todd wrote:
> >
> > the hosting system need not know or be exposed to the
> > component details but instead provided the bare minimum
> > needed to establish the relationship and delegate the
> > work to the component. the work is in definining the
> > interface amongst the container and the component.
>
> I'm finding that a little difficult to parse, but assuming I've
> understood you, I think I agree. However, I suspect that all you've done
> is restated the problem without getting us any closer to a solution.

On the contrary, at least James et.al. did a good architectural stab
at getting at one solution

	(http://java.sun.com/people/gonzo/tomcat/ConfigService.jpg)

I do feel that James is right (also) when he said that it was the lack
of code that sort of damped down the discussion. It's only possible to
discuss the "emperors new clothes" that far. BTW AFAI remember, the
discussion went much farther than discussing DTD's which is (and to an
extent should be) only a _minor_ thing in this problem domain.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland