tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: Short Term Plan: Add Security Management Capabilities toTomcat
Date Sat, 16 Oct 1999 22:58:11 GMT

>BTW, this shows how hard it is to come up with a sane DTD... in the long
>term, a possible weakness of XML :( but the only thing we can do to
>avoid this is being smart :)

XML is to the 90s what ASCII was to the 70s.  A necessary step forward, but one
that in itself does not make your code any better or easier to integrate.

I've had that (mis?)-fortune of being exposed to a fair amount of data modelling
in my career.  I see a strong similarity beting the problem of constructing the
proper XLM DTD as the one of constructing the correct database schema.

The next logical step in this progression is to model the "auth" entities as <a
href="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xlink"> XML links </a>.

- Sam Ruby
     </i>Smart data structures and dumb code works a lot better than the other
way around</i>