tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From James Todd <james.t...@eng.sun.com>
Subject vote please (was-> [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Running tests on latest source]])
Date Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:26:45 GMT

i think we need to vote on this one as arun is basically
blocked.

the current tests assume an http return code which has
recently changed. the good news is that this is the
intended purpose of these tests which we will continue
to grow ... to force a discussion as to the merits of
the change and the formulation of a consensus as to how
best to proceed.

the issue at hand is what should the http return code
be for a "/servlet" and "/servlet/", effectively a
directory listing, request be:

	404 - not found
	403 - forbidden

i don't believe the servlet 2.2 spec is explicit to this
detail for this matter ... but i could be wrong.

given that arun put this item on the table and as such
is indirectly asking for a vote i'll register:

	+1 for 403 - forbidden

with an understanding that there may be good merits for
a 404 to which i'm open.

two more +1 votes and we'll rev the tests so that they
expect 403 and should pass with flying colors.

diving in a bit more i'm actually quite curious as to
what has changed to affect resource requests permissions
response codes.

thx much,

- james