tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From David Brownell <davi...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: VIM [was source code standards!!!!!]
Date Fri, 22 Oct 1999 00:36:03 GMT
Craig McClanahan wrote:

> I'm not all that concerned about 4 vs 8 for tab stops, except that the
> current spec (the coding standards document we refer to in the web site)
> says tab means 8, and that tabs are allowed.  If we're going to change
> the rules, we should change the spec, or define our own modified version
> of it for this project.
>
> Note that indentation for nested blocks is still required to be 4
> characters.

Means the directions below are right re 'shiftwidth' but not 'tabstop'.
Tabstop is always 8.  "se ai sm sw=4" is tattooed in the VI section of
my forebrain, and conforms to all the style guidelines suggested here.

I like tabs, they save bandwidth.  I wish tools just didn't change
them from the default of 8, since it's so confusing if they do.

- Dave