tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Hunter <...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/core Context.java
Date Fri, 15 Oct 1999 00:56:27 GMT
> i don't see any verbiage in the spec that reserves anything. and it
> doesn't start with javax.

Yes, but the spec talks about making an additional variable available in
the context.  This doesn't do that -- this short circuits the
getAttribute() method.  With the code as it stands there's this
attribute available that's not listed by getAttributeNames(), and if I
assign something to "servlet.classpath" my value will never be seen.

That's two violations of the spec.  Spec says getAttributeNames() lists
available attributes.  Spec says setAttribute() with a value will let
you get the value with getAttribute().

At minimum I'd think we should bury this under the rug by making it
org.apache.tomcat.* so no one will know we're being nasty.  I kind of
prefer that to making the variable public because then it appears like
other people have to implement it since the RI provides it.

> the reason we didn't pick org.apache.* and picked servlet.* is
> because this is also intended to be implemented by other servlet
> engines.... (it would
> be weird for other engines to implement org.apache.foobar...)

Hmm... If other vendors are to implement it then maybe it needs to go
public.  Argh!  "josper.servlet.classpath" maybe?  I dunno anymore.
Other opinions?

-jh-