tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From James Todd <james.t...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: XML configuration revisited
Date Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:09:52 GMT

agreed. having an agreed upon dtd before anything else
can be done is very short sighted. i've seen quite a
few projects get in very tight loops on that very topic.

by going xml, validated or not, we at least have a config
format which should be easy to change later on when we
know we have to ... since we don't have to write the parser.

we need an xml dtd to start the juices flowing, hence
my submition of tomcat server.xml (the tags have changed
a bit since we've last spoken but the goal is the same)
as some that works at one level and should be easy enough
to shape into whatever we choose moving forward.

bigger picture, i still believe we should start small
and grow this the smallish and understandable components
perspective vs the top-down container perspective. it
will have to be that way for any fast moving and open
(ie easily embraces new technologies) architecture ... to
do othewise would be a never ending spiral.

i'm still game and have not changed my opinions on this
matter a bit ... but open to ideas.

hope this helps,

- james