tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From James Todd <james.t...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: XML configuration revisited
Date Mon, 11 Oct 1999 19:23:27 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Actually, I don't think it was lack of code that stalled the discussion,
> but an embarassment of options on how to solve the "XDTD problem".

that's not the conclusion i came to ... which is
not to say my conclusion is right :)

> > > The major issue I see is that Apache's configuration is extensible, but
> > > DTDs are not (at least, as far as I understand them). So, some kind of
> > > XDTD (to coin an acronym) is needed. I believe such things do exist, but
> > > I don't know much about them. However, the fact that they are plural
> > > worries me :-)
> > >

> > i'd start bottom up and grow this organically. further
> > i propose considering the configuration approach used
> > by tomcat as a starting point as 1) it is simple and
> > 2) it is based on xml and java and as such should be
> > impervious of many platform specific concerns.
>
> Well, that's fine and dandy, but...
>
> > now, by saying it is simple i am not implying that
> > it will solve world hunger ... quite the opposite.
> > if we can get subsystem (eg tomcat servlet container)
> > configurations to become real and portable then
> > hosting system configuration concerns becomes at
> > some level just a matter of interacting and instrumenting
> > the various subsystems configuration api.
>
> ...I think that until you think about how to integrate subsystems you
> haven't addressed any problems that don't fall into the realm of the
> bleedin' obvious(tm). To take a really trivial Apache example, some
> modules have some configuration that can appear within <VirtualHost ...>
> sections, and some that can't. The XDTD should define this, rigorously.
> Somehow. Ideally in a way that everyone thinks is good and is
> standardised.

this is why i'm suggesting that we consider what it
would take to manage a collection of component/subsystem/etc
configurations as deemed appropriate by the component
vs trying to configuration everything nut and bolt a
hosting system is and/or may be comprised of in a manner
deemed appropriate by the hosting system.

the hosting system need not know or be exposed to the
component details but instead provided the bare minimum
needed to establish the relationship and delegate the
work to the component. the work is in definining the
interface amongst the container and the component.

- james