tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: XML configuration revisited
Date Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:46:44 GMT
Pratik Patel wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I was looking through the archives for this list when I started reading
> about the XML configuration discussion.
> Has any work been done on this, and is there an DTD (even a rough one)
> that someone has already created? We would like to build a DTD that
> incorporates the new Java Servlet API's specification on web
> applications (http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_1_2.dtd) with an
> Apache configuration DTD.
>
> Our idea at this point is to build a simple DTD that incorporates both
> the Apache config details and the future web.xml DTD. For the time
> being, we will edit the XML config by hand and write a simple parser to
> spit out httpd.conf and jserv.conf/jserv.properties/servlets.properties.
> We would like some feedback and see if anyone else is already working on
> this, possibly as part of Jakarta.

It has been discussed on the Tomcat mailing list, but so far without
much in the way of conclusions.

The major issue I see is that Apache's configuration is extensible, but
DTDs are not (at least, as far as I understand them). So, some kind of
XDTD (to coin an acronym) is needed. I believe such things do exist, but
I don't know much about them. However, the fact that they are plural
worries me :-)

Cheers,

Ben.

--