tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Troy Poppe <t...@sba.miami.edu>
Subject Re: XML configuration revisited
Date Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:22:36 GMT
On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 11:58:03PM +0200, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:
> Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk> writes:
>
> > James Todd wrote:
> > >
> > > the hosting system need not know or be exposed to the
> > > component details but instead provided the bare minimum
> > > needed to establish the relationship and delegate the
> > > work to the component. the work is in definining the
> > > interface amongst the container and the component.
> >
> > I'm finding that a little difficult to parse, but assuming I've
> > understood you, I think I agree. However, I suspect that all you've done
> > is restated the problem without getting us any closer to a solution.
>
> On the contrary, at least James et.al. did a good architectural stab
> at getting at one solution
>
> 	(http://java.sun.com/people/gonzo/tomcat/ConfigService.jpg)
>
> I do feel that James is right (also) when he said that it was the lack
> of code that sort of damped down the discussion. It's only possible to
> discuss the "emperors new clothes" that far. BTW AFAI remember, the
> discussion went much farther than discussing DTD's which is (and to an
> extent should be) only a _minor_ thing in this problem domain.

Actually, I was about to say the same thing (thanks Jan).  We got to
the point where we determined that we needed to know more about what
we were looking at as far as scope in order to determine where to go
next. (ie. look at the code drop and figure out how things are interally
structured).

Also, does anyone remember the colloraboration(horribly misspelled ;) )
tool discussion?  Did we ever decide on any particular tool?  Together/J
was mentioned, as was VThought.  (I remember hearing that we probably
had a better chance with Together/J because of the Java aspect).  Anyone
adverse to starting that discussion again?  Perhaps a [VOTE] thread
on this?

- Troy