tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From d...@multitask.com.au
Subject server/config discussion - using servlet rather than .xml file
Date Mon, 02 Aug 1999 05:22:22 GMT
The idea here is that the config data not necessarily be held in a data
file, but could be retrieved using a 'bootstrap' servlet.

The end result being the same: there is config data available.

The advantage of doing it this way:
        * The servlet can go look up data from whereever it wants. i.e.
config info can be stored in a db/properties file/ldap rather than being
hard coded
        * A servlet has a lifecycle. This brings lifecycles to the
server/webapp. You can now write code that executes on startup/shutdown.
        * What does 'service' mean for this servlet: a way of dynamically
changing config info, by passing a request to the servlet.

As for overlap....with web apps, yes....
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

----- Forwarded by dIon Gillard/Multitask Consulting/AU on 02/08/99 12:18
PM -----

cool. can you expand on this a bit more? i must admit that my
mind is presently focussed more at the "webserver.xml" (server
config) level vs the webApp(s) web.xml level but it is none the
less important.

how do you see this unfolding (web.xml and/or webserver.xml)?

do you see some functional overlap?

btw, i am working with my j2ee/ri colleagues and with tomcat
it is trivial to add a new context (webApp) at anytime. i'm
going to consider copying the tomcat "shutdown" code (which
is really just an rmi hook to the running http server) to
proto in a "readNewContext" type method. in short, adding new
contexts to a running tomcat is trivial ... now to flesh out
the api's to allow for more options.

- james