tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Carreira, Jason" <Jason.Carre...@usa.xerox.com>
Subject RE: config diag, etc
Date Wed, 04 Aug 1999 14:25:43 GMT

Perhaps, since there is a general feeling that this config service not only
needs to be accessed by apps in other languages, but also needs to be
implementable in other languages, we should first work on a CORBA IDL for
the config API, then work out a reference implementation of the API in java.
To the reference impl we could add RMI and JNDI hooks that would be outside
the scope of the API (which would be the IDL) but put there to hook more
easily into java clients/tools... There could also be a separate API for
http/s clients/tools to interface with the config service that would also be
back-end-implementation independent, although I'm not sure how such can be
codified...

This would allow us to build the implementation without worries about Apache
standalone users not wanting to start up a JVM for the config service... it
could be implemented in C/C++ if necessary...