tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From James Todd <james.t...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: config diag, etc
Date Tue, 10 Aug 1999 19:11:54 GMT

"Carreira, Jason" wrote:
> I agree that this is a good place to start, but I think we also need to
> think about the dynamic config service APIs sometime before the code-drop so
> that the ability to receive config change callbacks and update the internal
> config without restarting can be built into the Tomcat code... I don't
> really have any clue how far out the code-drop is to say whether this is
> something that can wait, or if it's something that needs to be addressed
> soon...

the core of tomcat can most likely handle this today. the
work, as i see it, will be factoring out the direct "xml-parsing
to context attributes" stuff to a remote http get. should
be trivial. the dynamic hooks for tomcat should also not be
too tough ... we use rmi to attach to the process today to
shut it down cleanly. with tomcat, we can startup multiple
webApp services, each with it's own port. we could designate
one of the webApps to be an "admin listner" port with which
the config service could actively posts config updates against
which will in turn trigger a dynamic "reconfig" in tomcat.

shouldn't be too tough so i'd vote to flesh out the messaging
protocols, the datagram packets, etc if i've captured the
the initial and high-level architecture correctly.

hope this helps,

- james