tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Dude <daled...@email.com>
Subject RE: Re: request for review: server/config discussion
Date Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:55:27 GMT
A central function that takes a key as an arg would be able to tell what config options changed.
Although that may be to much. Even a general notification that a config change has occured
in a modules "namespace" would do the trick.

...dale

------Original Message------
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>

Much as I like the idea of notifying config changes, I think it is
likely to lead to trouble. Here's the problem in a nutshell: either you
notify in detail what the changes are, in which case we are looking at
horrendous complexity and likely lots of interesting failure modes, or
you just say "it's changed" in which case you only need a single module
that requires a restart (canonical example: Apache listeners - these
cannot change without a restart) and every change gives you a restart
anyway.

I suppose its possible that there's some middle ground, but I'm afraid
my imagination has failed me...