tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From James Todd <james.t...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: request for review: server/config discussion
Date Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:11:31 GMT

hey chris ... i just checked out your picture on www.volunteermatch.com
and sure enough i used to work with you in devPro back when. small
world ... cool. i was the "licensing dude who chatted with you a bit
about some of the rw/dbTools stuff back when."

> Personally I believe if you can build a server with clean, dynamic,
> internal reconfiguration, building mechanisms for responding to changes
> in config files shows up as a relatively straightforward engineering
> task. And if the internal interfaces are not available, you can't
> dynamically reconfigure at all.

!indeed!

i agree completely with your perspective and in fact feel the
tomcat server is a good starting point for piloting just what
we can do with a "smarter configuration service" with little
legacy overhead. also, if desigined cleanly, any server should
be able to take advantage of this service at some level. we can
even manage configuration data beyond server data if done
cleanly but that is a bit down the road a bit.

thx for the comments. it is nice working with you again cris.

- james