tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From James Todd <james.t...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: request for review: server/config discussion
Date Wed, 21 Jul 1999 20:22:10 GMT
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> The best way to go, IMVHO, is to solve the configuration design on the
> first version. Since configurations are the key important factor for the
> whole tomcat design (every single piece of what we're building relies on
> configurations!), I think that we better figure out a complete abstract
> way of configuring tomcat, and, for the first implementation, providing
> just the basis of it (like reading an XML file and that's it).
> But, when then we'll need to face other scenarios, like deriving
> configuration from whatever source, we'll just need to write our
> adapters from (for example) LDAP, from HTTP from all the diferent
> sources, without having to think (or care) about modifying our
> components...

i believe we're reaching consensus on many of the key
starting points (note: this is not stating the opinions
are necessarily ratified). i believe the general objectives
of this theme are becoming quite clear in my mind as
well as others.

today i'll kick out another copy of the discussion points
to date with a bit more stronger (ie must, shall, can)
statements so as to knock down any remaining roadblocks
so that we can start fleshing these concepts out a bit
(eg identifying factorable entities, next level design
discussion, proto-type, etc).

hope this helps,

- james