tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From James Todd <james.t...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: request for review: server/config discussion
Date Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:47:06 GMT
Troy Poppe wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 08:59:31PM -0700, James Todd wrote:
> >
> > if i understand this one, wouldn't an approach where by
> > two (or more) dtd's exist, one specifying the config layout
> > and the other containing more specific entity data (ie. ip
> > address) coupled with the xml file would afford this flexibility?
> >
> > the "changeable" config elements could be factored out to
> > pluggable "entity.dtd" files.
>
> Hrm, I'm going to have to think about this.... I'm not exactly
> sure how that'd work... but it does sound feasible.... XML writing
> XML.... we're pushing envelopes here gentlemen/ladies...

that's not where my head is ... something more along the lines
of "more then one usage of the SYSTEM tag in an xml and dtd
files." i have to believe this is doable today as many tags are
provided for you today (eg &lt; maps to <) which really equates
to a rather simple entity mapping.

so, can an xml file reference more then one external dtd file
and/or can a dtd file reference one or more external dtd file.

some of the more dynamic data could be constrained to reside in
a smaller and more manageable "entity" dtd file which is in turn
referenced via a SYSTEM tag into the more static web server dtd
syntax.

i'm going to cca colleague of mine who 1) lurks on general@jakarta
and 2) supports the ProjectX initiative.

- james