tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <cmcclana...@mytownnet.com>
Subject Re: request for review: server/config discussion
Date Wed, 21 Jul 1999 03:55:58 GMT
James Todd wrote:

> i believe that is a possibility ... a "generalized" configuration
> service can come into play and the owner/operator of the service
> can choose, at least in the early rounds, on how closely to bind
> this service with the user entity (eg http server). in the early
> states i think we should error on the side of "make it simple"
> (in this specific case passive notification).

There is one ramification of the "keep it simple for now" approach.  As Ben
Laurie pointed out earlier, a server component that knows how to deal with
dynamic configuration change events (no matter what the API is, and no matter
now the events are delivered) is substantially more complex than a server
component that is configured only at startup time.  The keep-it-simple version
of the server components will probably need to have their design revisited
when we want to go to dynamic configuration changes.

Given that this is pretty likely to occur anyway (as we merge ideas with
Apache JServ, and as everyone has a chance to look at the code and make
suggestions for new features and functionality), I'm OK with "keep it simple"
for the first round.  But you can count on me not letting us forget about this
as a very desirable feature for later rounds.  :-)

Craig