tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From James Todd <james.t...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: request for review: server/config discussion
Date Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:54:57 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:
> I have a horrible feeling someone is going to say "beans" in a moment...

k ... i'll bite ... enterprise javaBeans, namely jts and jms.

at one level these are protocol specifics and related dependencies.
at this time, i think we should keep things simple and sane and
progressively review and grow accordingly.

> > Doing this would probably be easier if the configurations data was itself an
> > object (like a DOM tree or something) that coulld be asked generically to "write
> > yourself to this output stream", rather than making every server component for
> > reconstructing configurations settings from the currently set properties or
> > whatever.
>
> Uhoh.

we need to discuss the dispatched "listner - to/from - service"
message signature. for a read only api, i think we have:

	specific objects for the request at hand

	dom reflecting the xml config data and the like

	something in between (ie a java helper/container)

we also have to discuss each of the above, as i see it, within
the context of a specific protocol, the short (not exclusive)
list being:

	http

	jini

	rmi

my hunch is all the above can be share alot of core logic and
the later two can most likely share a bit more service-side
implementation.

when talking about "notification of changed config data" i
believe the idea of "unique client identification" comes
into play. again, depending on the protocol we have a series
of options (eg http -> servlet session). regardless, if this
is a requirement, it should be kept lean.

- james