tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From James Todd <james.t...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: request for review: server/config discussion
Date Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:40:01 GMT
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
> global restart being required.  This doesn't seem to be a high priority for most server
> developers (and I'm talking to myself here as well -- Apache JServ 1.1-DEV still requires
restarts
> on config changes), but it sure does matter in environments where a server restart can
be very
> disruptive to lots of users.

agreed. for the apps i've built this was mandatory. it make dev
nice but in a production system i can be a pretty big deal to
?quiesce? and revive the system in full. this is not to say that
*all* config data will fit this criteria (updateable w/o require
server restart) but i do believe there is a large set of such
attributes that fits the bill nicely.

hope this helps,

- james