tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <cmcclana...@mytownnet.com>
Subject Re: request for review: server/config discussion
Date Tue, 20 Jul 1999 01:24:23 GMT
James Todd wrote:

> these are my thoughts as well and an area i'd like for us to
> drill down on rsn. i think we're comfortable knowing what we
> know about the entities which are likely to produce and use
> the data ... what differentiates this, in my mind and i believe
> yours as well, is that the "configuration service" should make
> available in a protocol friendly means the configuration data
> (or derived objects) and will singal to clients (most likely
> passively) when a "data refresh" is required as the config
> data has changed.

I would make a stronger statement than that ... I do not want "data refresh" notifications
-- I
want each individual change event.  In Java, the JavaBeans event broadcast model seems to
be the
best way to deal with it in the configuration API.

My single biggest gripe about Apache (or Netscape Enterprise Server, and I'm sure lots of
others),
no matter now good it is at what it does, is the fact that you have to restart the server
for the
most trivial configuration file changes.  To me, that's not the way things should work --
it should
be possible to make incremental changes to existing configurations, at least to some level,
without
global restart being required.  This doesn't seem to be a high priority for most server
developers (and I'm talking to myself here as well -- Apache JServ 1.1-DEV still requires
restarts
on config changes), but it sure does matter in environments where a server restart can be
very
disruptive to lots of users.

After all, we can't laugh at Microsoft Windows for forcing a reboot just to change DNS servers
if
we do the same sort of thing in our application services ....

> - james

Craig McClanahan