tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <cmcclana...@mytownnet.com>
Subject Re: request for review: server/config discussion
Date Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:02:23 GMT
James Todd wrote:

> hi -
>
>         attached is a first cut at collecting the various
>         thoughts surrounding a "pure java http server
>         configuration" project.

I did not see this issue addressed so far (maybe it's more an issue for the server
implementation itself), but I would like to see a mechanism where incremental changes to the
configuration information, such as adding a new Directory Path or changing an existing
Maintainer (in the terminology of the Appendix example) are "absorbed" in to the running
server without requiring a complete restart.  This may require architectural support within
the configuration data management module itself (as well as the API), to broadcast events
when
changes occur.

It should also go without saying that the results of this should be useful in configuring
all
Tomcat components, not just the HTTP server :-).

Craig McClanahan