tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From James Todd <james.t...@eng.sun.com>
Subject tomcat config via xml format
Date Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:16:19 GMT

this is a carry over from an ongoing "config files in xml format'
discussion
and to carry this forward included below is a version of an upcoming
tomcat server config file in xml format. this is provided as an example
showing the direction tomcat is heading and determine like synergies.
this
is not intended to be the end all config solution but is instead a
starting
point.

to frame this discussion, here's some discussion points listed in no
particular order i'll throw out:

    format (why xml; are there other solutions we should consider)

            i believe we've moved passed this item but it is none the
less
            it is on the table for discussion

    what xml standards should we use; are the libs pluggable

    tomcat dtd (use this as a baseline)

    clean room dtd (if i was in a perfect world this is what i'd like to
see)

    what are the primary configuration entities which could/should
    be described within a servlet engine/container configuration file

        as a start i'd offer the included dtd but this is more then
likely
        quite tomcat specific ... then again it could be quite
abstracted

    what tools can be built around this configuration file

        html/servlet
        applet/rmi
        applet/xml/servlet

hope this helps,