tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Clarke" <tcla...@agency.com>
Subject Re: request for review: server/config discussion
Date Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:24:47 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: James Todd <james.todd@eng.sun.com>
To: <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 1999 12:20 AM
Subject: Re: request for review: server/config discussion

> i'm saying this believing that the ldap interface can provide
> another means to access configuration data from the config service,
> not the static config file directly. in my understanding of ldap
> in talking with a colleague who has worked with it, i believe the
> server side of ldbap is exentsible (ie plug it into the same
> server side logic as the http, rmi, jini protocols will likely
> plug into ... not the config file directly).

So to allow access via LDAP you either:
    a) write your own min-LDAP server or
    b) write a plug-in for an existing one.

> exactly. in fact, we were able to live with a bit more rigid
> configuration structure in the early days until we rolled in a
> bit more bullet proof "rolling out" process you expressed here.
> so, being able to segment configuration data so as to allow for
> collections of things that change at a common frequency is a
> good thing ... if i read you right on this one. i believe having
> an xml file what can reference (via a sytstem tag) multiple dtd
> files will help here (as well as other candidate solutions).

I assume you mean an XML file which includes other XML files, which are
possibly of different DTDs.

e.g.:
    serverdependentconfig.xml includes:
    /webroot/serverindepentconfig.xml

This would work quite nicely I think. Though I wonder what happens in a
clustered situation.

Tom

Tom Clarke
Senior Software Engineer