tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Clarke" <tcla...@agency.com>
Subject Re: request for review: server/config discussion
Date Wed, 21 Jul 1999 03:29:08 GMT
I came over ruthlessly pragmatic for a moment there ;-)

Seriously though, from a user/sysadmin perspective, does it actually buy you
anything - having multiple configurations I mean?

I can't think of an application that gives you this much flexibility in
configuration. Doesn't mean it's not valuable, but what are the scenarios it
gives me benefit as a user/sysadmin? (and doesn't just make it more
confusing and complicated)

Having said these things though:
    a) Going pie in the sky is _always_ a good idea in my experience, it
helps you find where the sky is and allows you to find the right compromise
between extremes.
    b) This is an open source project - if anyone thinks something is cool
and thinks its cool enough to devote time to, who am I to tell them
otherwise - it will ultimately benefit everyone.

One of the things that Weblogic allows you to do, is have configuration
specific to an individual server that overrides the global configuration.

Tom

Tom Clarke
Senior Software Engineer
AGENCY.COM