tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Tavares" <stava...@home.com>
Subject Re: request for review: server/config discussion
Date Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:42:27 GMT
> "Carreira, Jason" wrote:
>
> > Hmm... I would think it would be better to build the config object as
nested
> > containers, where each container can hold config properties and other
> > containers. Then, a listener can register itself at whatever granularity
it
> > needs to get the config info specific to it. ie. a specific web app only
> > needs to listen for changes to it's config and configs of
sub-components.
> > Then, when there's a change to a config container, it notifies it's
> > listeners, and passes the message up to its parent, for it to notify its
> > listeners, and so on...
> >
> > I also think we should stop worrying about how this will be implemented
in
> > XML and think instead about the API and config server, especially about
> > persisting the config object tree. Perhaps each config container can be
> > responsible for persisting itself.

There is a documented design pattern written by:

 Dirk Riehle. "Bureaucracy." In Pattern Languages of Program Design 3.
 Edited by Robert Martin, Dirk Riehle, and Frank Buschmann.
 Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley, 1998. Chapter 11, page 163-186.

I think this will do just nicely to solve this problem. The pattern is a
combination of four other patterns that are from the GoF's

    Design Patterns Elements of Reusable Object-Orient Software.

If you do not have either of these books, (i suggest take a trip over to
the amazon to get them) you can get an unedited *.pdf version of just this
chapter
from here:

    http://www.riehle.org/papers/1996/europlop-1996-bureaucracy.html

Although the example it uses, is a bit broader than the scope in which it
would be
used for here, i still think it still applies none the less.

What do U think???

-ScottTavares-
Sr. Consultant, CBSI