tiles-users mailing list archives

From Eugene Borodkin <eugeneb...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: AW: Problem with Tiles:Insert Tag in IE 8
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2014 16:23:33 GMT
Thanks for the reply Marvin. Yes, you were right, the .application.layout page does insert
a DOCTYPE.

We'll try to find a workaround for this -- we need dynamic substitution of the right tile
definition, based on certain conditions, as below; we need to switch between .application.layoutand
.single.layout, so we were hoping this would work:

<c:set var="layoutDef" value="application"/>
<c:if test="${!currentComplexApplication.complex}">
    <c:set var="layoutDef" value="single"/>
</c:if>
<tiles:insert definition=".${layoutDef}.layout">

But because of the DOCTYPE we get the IE8 rendering issue. We'll try to find a workaround
but I may post here again if we have any further issues/questions. Thanks a lot for your help!

- Eugene

________________________________
 From: "Marvin.Luchs@t-systems.com" <Marvin.Luchs@t-systems.com>
To: users@tiles.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:23 AM
Subject: AW: Problem with Tiles:Insert Tag in IE 8

Hi Eugene,

Sounds like ".application.layout" inserts a DOCTYPE declaration into your HTML document. This
DOCTYPE controls the browser's rendering mode and it has to be the very first content of your
HTML code (I think even spaces or line breaks prevent the browser from recognizing the DOCTYPE).

" When the user agent encountered a document with a well-formed DOCTYPE declaration of a current
HTML standard (i.e. HTML 2.0 wouldn't cut it), it would assume that the author knew what she
was doing and render the page in "standards" mode (laying out elements using the W3C's box
model). But when no DOCTYPE or a malformed DOCTYPE was encountered, the document would be
rendered in "quirks" mode, i.e., laying out elements using the non-standard box model of IE5.x/Windows."
http://alistapart.com/article/beyonddoctype

In Quirks mode the Internet Explorer may render your document, especially CSS, quite differently.

If this is not the cause of your problem, examples of your generated HTML in both cases would
be helpful.

Best regards,
Marvin Luchs