tiles-users mailing list archives

From Mick Semb Wever <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mustache templates?
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2013 22:17:33 GMT
ClamAV 0.96.5

>  From what I can tell from the Mustache engine, Tiles is still
> rendering the mustache templates on the server side - correct?

That is correct.

> If so, other than having another templating technology at your
> disposal (in addition to Velocity, Freemarker, etc), is there any
> additional advantage to using Mustache?
>   Isn't part of the attraction of mustache to render on client side?

Yes, and that is the advantage of mustache templates. That the same
templates used server-side (typically in the original request), can be
re-used on the client (typical ajax updates on the page).

> Are there any examples how to use Mustache templates in Tiles?

The datamodel coming into the tiles mustache attribute must also be made
available, through a separate url, to the client as json.

The mustache template must also be available, through a url, to the
client.

At Finn the above approach has been working well for us.

But I'd like to see tiles provide support for making this easier. A way
to extend the tiles implementation of the composite-pattern out into the
land of the client-side. We've had a number of discussions inside
Finn.no on this and believe that it is possible. If this is something
you'd like to help out with i can elaborate more our ideas. Within Finn
i can't see any traction on this idea until next February at the
earliest.

~mck

--
"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the
thing itself, but to your estimate of it. This you have the power to

| http://github.com/finn-no | http://tech.finn.no |