tiles-users mailing list archives

From Mck <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Caching specific Tiles.
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2010 08:25:14 GMT
On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 08:36 -0700, Chris Pratt wrote:
> I'm not sure I see how that would work.  Being that the page is composited
> before it's delivered, how could an external cache possibly work, or help
> for that matter?

For example... the external cache can see in the composite page that
only one particular fragment was stale. Normally this would mean the
whole page would need to be requested again from the application server.
But... if this fragment has been marked with a "url" attribute then the
external cache knows that it can request just this fragment from the
application server. It is then the external cache's responsible to
re-insert the newly fetched fragment into the otherwise cached page.

This style of caching is faster than the internal in-memory caching
originally hinted to in this thread. See http://www.w3.org/TR/esi-lang

Yes, it still means the application server must make it possible to
fetch individual fragments, but tiles can automate this with some el
expressions in the tiles.xml

And yes, this is slightly off-topic for this list. But i'm looking into
how this integration can be done and as automated as possible with
tiles...

~mck