tiles-users mailing list archives

From Antonio Petrelli <antonio.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Tiles 2 and JavaScript and css
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:15:28 GMT
2010/7/28 Motley, Jeffery <Jeffery.Motley@williams.com>:
> This solution requires me to place additional definitions in the xml
> file for every page I have, since they all would have some kind of
> unique JavaScript. I would then use the extended definition in my custom
> page. Is there any way to not define the new JavaScript in the xml
> config file and to include it in the custom jsp that uses the master
> layout either by including a custom JavaScript file or have custom
> JavaScript inline in the custom jsp?

To not define a plethora of definitions, you can use a ViewPreparer,
and override an attribute following a rule (if you can find one):
http://tiles.apache.org/framework/tutorial/advanced/preparer.html
For an inline Javascript, you can use <tiles:insert> as usual with an
attribute of "template" type.

> For instance, in all of the examples I see the body tag is in the
> master_layout.jsp. I want to define the body tag in my custom.jsp that
> uses the master layout because I might want to call some custom
> JavaScript at body onLoad. I hope this makes sense?

In this particular case I think that using unobtrusive Javascript,
that modifies onload of <body> element when loaded, is the best
approach. With things like jQuery or Prototype it's very easy:
http://www.prototypejs.org/api/event/observe

Antonio